WEEK 12: PCR Rules

Hello mates! I have came back after a stressful test in ochem. I am so close to the finish line I can feel it but yet the assignments keep me blinded. All I have to do is turn in all these assignments and do amazing oon this final exam and I will be in the home strech do achieving my goal of graduation. I will continue to hang in there with the help of my fun oulet my project. After letting my DNA samples for each food product sit after 48 hours I (with the help of Josh and Chris) prepared gel molds to run a PCR test to detect Plant and Other source GMO primers in my selected food products (shown other blogs). Now, it was time for the real magic to happen. We placed our sealed tubes into a machine called a thermal cycler. This machine heats and cools the tubes in a specific pattern, causing the DNA to copy itself over and over again. It's like a DNA copy machine on steroids. Once the PCR was complete, we checked to see if we got the results we were expecting. We used a technique called gel electrophoresis to visualize the DNA copies. It's kind of like creating a genetic fingerprint! By comparing the patterns on the gel, we could determine if our samples contained genetically modified organisms (GMOs).Stay tuned for the the analyzed results

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 6: Plants Are Rad

WEEK 2: Shake It Up

WEEK 1: ZOOM